Monday, September 01, 2008

September 1-13: A Quiet Few Weeks

Looking at my calendar, I see that the days ahead are relatively quiet ones. Lutherans will be remembering several of our fathers in the faith: September 2, Bishop Gruntvig, Renewer of the Church, d. 1872; September 4, Albert Schwitzer, Missionary, d. 1965. Among those of other traditions in our calendar over the next two weeks: on the 9th, Anglican Peter Claver, Priest, d. 1653; on the 13th, Bishop John Chrysotom, d. 407. On September 8th, we remember the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and on September 14, we celebrate Holy Cross Day. At Faith Lutheran Church in Lexington, we have a good tradition for Holy Cross Day; weeks in advance, parishioners bring any old, extra, unused crosses to church, and then on Holy Cross Day, we take them out and around the city, to be given to those in need, the poor, the house-bound--anyone who wants a cross to remind them of God's love. As I have time and opportunity, I'll post a few remarks about each person and/or day.

In the meantime, I'll be posting some reflection on The Attentive Life that you might like to read. The book, by Leighton Ford, is a joy to read.

In the middle of this week June and I are driving down to Georgia by way of Nashville (to visit my son, Kirk), and on Sunday morning next, we board a bus for a tour up the coast to New York City. Sponsored by the Senior Center in Barnesville, Georgia, the whole thing is a ride with some of June's girl friends. "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'

On the way I'll be working on a few more lessons in my study of The Benedictine Rule and reading a few books to while away the time. When we unload along the way, I'll try to get online with my laptop and share a few thoughts. In case you're interested, in addition to Benedict and Ford, here's what I'm taking along to read: John Chryssavgis, In the Heart of the Desert: The Spirituality ofo the Desert Fathers and Mothers, Brian McLaren, Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices, Graham Greene, The Comedians, Mark Galli, Beyond Smells and Bells: The Wonder and Power of Christian Liturgy, and Matthew Levering, Ezra & Nehemiah (newly published from the Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible).

We'll be staying three nights at some casino in Atlantic City. Can you imagine? I find no joy in gambling (nary a dime in a slot), so I suppose I'll watch in amazement. Or be up in the room, reading. Thank God for the psalms.

No comments: