

June, Chelsea, and I are back in Georgia, having driven all day yesterday from Port Canaveral, Florida. Now good to be home. Sometimes I think we go on holidays simply to come back to our tables, chairs, and beds with new appreciations, many gratitudes. While away, I spent most of my "deck days" reading the collected letters of C. S. Lewis, concentrating on Volume II (1931-1949), underlining as I went. In the next few days, I hope to share with you some of my thoughts and reactions. Unhappily, I've also returned with a nasty head cold and of necessity will not be able to participate in the Eucharist this morning. I had so much hoped so because the readings for this morning's worship are some of the best in the year, and I encourage you to slip over to Daniel Clendenin's
commentary. Having read Kierkegaard's
Fear and Trembling many years ago, I am delighted to remember how exciting the Dane's four-fold response to the inscrutable story of Abraham and Isaac. Surely few have entered the story so well, so bravely and committed to making some sense of it all. As I will need to be satsified with Morning Prayer this morning, I'll be thinking about the sorts of sacrifices God is asking of me, surely a "son of Abraham" who needs to wonder about his spiritual "great-great-great" grandfather in the Faith.
No comments:
Post a Comment